Left. Swan Island, 1897. Courtesy of University of Texas Library.
Right. Swan Island, 1965. Courtesy of the Oregonian. Note that
in 1897 Swan Island was actually an Island. By the 1920s, dredging and soil
disposal connected it to the mainland. Before 1935, the Port was responsible
for dredging the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. The Port has owned seven dredges
since 1898. The Tualitin, Willamette and Columbia were part of the dredging
efforts at Swan Island.